Thursday, May 3, 2012

Fiesta time!

After spending 4 years in Oklahoma City, Tex-Mex became a regular part of our diets. Not that we didn't like it before, but when it's one of the regional dishes, you tend to eat it more than before. Fresh salsa, or pico de gallo, is my favourite. I would honestly eat it every day. I enjoy mixing it with avocado and serving it over eggs (huevos rancheros). Finding a perfect salsa has been a challenge for me. I was able to get a great one at Sam's Club in Oklahoma, but haven't found one I really enjoy up here in Saguenay yet. So while I was shopping the other day I picked up some roma tomatoes, onion, and hot peppers and set to work today to make my own. Now I'm not a huge onion fan, and crunchy peppers in salsa weird me out. So I sauteed my onions and peppers first before putting them through the food processor with the tomatoes. I didn't follow a recipe at all for this, but it turned out fantastic! Very, very HOT, but that's the way we like it. Modify for your desired heat by cutting back on the peppers.  So here is what I threw together.

Fresh Salsa

Ingredients:

6 Roma tomatoes
1 pint sweet grape tomatoes
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded
1 cayenne pepper, seeded
1 cherry pepper, seeded
3 Serrano peppers, seeded
1/2 onion
1 1/2 tsp sea salt
1 tbsp lime juice
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp coriander

Directions:

1.  Chop peppers and onion in food processor (for ease, or by hand if you don't have a processor) and then saute in 1 tbsp EVOO until soft.


2.  Core Roma tomatoes and combine with grape tomatoes and sauteed onions and peppers in food processor bowl.


3.  Add salt, lime juice, cumin and coriander and pulse until desired chunkiness achieved.
4.  Serve with chips or crackers, or how ever you please!


* Be careful when cutting the peppers and onions!  You will start to cry, and if not wearing gloves, you will burn your skin!  Take it from me.  I speak from experience.  Next time I will wear gloves for the peppers.  The tearing up from the onions, well that's unavoidable I think!

3 comments: