Wednesday, May 9, 2012

3rd Time's a Charm!

Well, attempt #3 at granola bars, and finally success!  I decided to give it one more valiant effort, and my hard work paid off!  Well, not really hard work, as I opted for the no-bake bars this time around.  And I'm glad I did!  After my two first attempts went south, I went back to Pinterest and found a recipe for no-bake bars, of the Clif bar variety.  As per usual, I made some slight modifications for what I had in the pantry.  They got me a high-5 from Mark when they were done.  I'm sure they won't last long in this house!

Homemade No-Bake Clif Bars


Ingredients:

1 1/4 cups Rice Krispies Brown Rice cereal (new and gluten-free)
1 cup quick oats
2 tbsp ground flaxseed meal
1/4 cup Craisins (dried cranberries)
1/8 cup chopped slivered almonds
1/8 cup shredded sweetened coconut
1/3 cup honey
1/2 cup almond butter
1 tsp vanilla extract


Directions:

1.  Combine cereal, oats, flaxseed meal, Craisins, almonds and coconut in a large bowl.


2.  Combine the honey and almond butter in a microwaveable bowl and heat for 30-60 seconds until melted, then stir in the vanilla.


3.  Pour the wet mixture over the dry mixture and stir until coated, with a wooden spoon.  Feel free to use your hands for this step too to ensure everything is well blended.
4.  Using a piece of wax paper, firmly press the mixture into a bar pan or 8x8 square pan (I used the Pampered Chef medium bar pan, pushing it to one end).  


5.  Cool in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes then cut into 12 squares.


6.  Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and store in the fridge, if they last that long!

Now feel free to substitute your favourite dried fruit for the Craisins, and peanut butter for the almond butter.  The Enlightened Cooking blog, from which this recipe originates, lists some other varieties of ingredients you can use for these bars.  Next time I may try the peanut butter ones!  Use whatever your taste-buds desire!


Per Serving
Calories: 154

Carbs: 20
Fat: 7
Protein: 4
Sodium: 19
Sugar: 10
(www.myfitnesspal.com)



No comments:

Post a Comment