Monday, April 30, 2012

A little taste of the orient.

I know that usually my blog posts are sweet treats or breads, but today I thought I'd go for something savoury.  Tonight's dinner menu called for teriyaki salmon with grilled pineapple rings.  When I was making up the meal plan and preparing my grocery list, I apparently forgot to check to make sure I had teriyaki sauce.  Which I didn't.  So when I went to start marinating the salmon, and realized that I had no sauce, the quick fix solution was to head over to Pinterest in search of one!  I had to make some slight modifications as I do not buy organic ginger or garlic, and neither do I have raw honey, liquid whey (optional), or unpasteurized, naturally fermented soy sauce (?).  So the resultant sauce, and further more, dinner, looked a little something like this!

Homemade Teriyaki Sauce
Ingredients:

2 tsp ground ginger
2 tsp crushed garlic (2 cloves)
2 tbsp sesame oil
2 tbsp rice vinegar
3 tbsp honey 
1 cup lite soya sauce
2 tsp cornstarch (to thicken)

Directions:

1.  Combine first 6 ingredients in a sauce pan and bring to a slow boil.
2.  Simmer for 2 minutes then add cornstarch and allow to thicken slightly.
3.  Cool and then proceed to marinate salmon filets!


Teriyaki Salmon with Grilled Pineapple

Ingredients:

4-4oz salmon filets (skin removed)
teriyaki sauce marinade
4 pineapple rings

Directions:

1.  Pour homemade teriyaki sauce over salmon filets and allow to marinate at least 1 hour, even better over night (I did mine for about 2 hours).
2.  Preheat barbeque grill on high, then reduce to medium.
3.  Grill salmon for 5 minutes on each side, basting with extra sauce.
4.  Add pineapple rings to grill and sear for 2 minutes on each side.
5.  Serve salmon with pineapple rings on top.


I can honestly say this was one of the best salmon dishes I have ever made!  Grilling the pineapple really brings out the sweetness, not that it isn't sweet enough to begin with that's for sure!  And my salmon was cooked to perfection!  Both kids gobbled it right up!  Wish I could have said the same for Mark (he's not a seafood fan at all).  Eric ate his piece!

1 comment:

  1. I do something similar to this with rips, except I add pineapple preserves to my marinade. Delish! Great recipe, Jan. Definitely will have to give it a go with fish.

    ReplyDelete