Thursday, March 8, 2012

Nothing like Grandma's!

Why is that Grandma's cooking always tastes so good?  And it's hard to replicate?  I haven't figured it out yet.  My grandma always made the best oatmeal chocolate chip cookies though, and I was lucky enough to get her recipe a few years ago, during university, when I got a craving for the tasty things!  So today, when the kids were wanting to bake some cookies, I thought I'd pull it out and we could make them together.  The only modification that I did was subbed in whole wheat flour for all-purpose flour.  Hope you enjoy them as much as I do!

Grandma Mills Oatmeal Cookies

Ingredients:

1/2 cup shortening 
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 egg, beaten
1 tbsp water
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup whole wheat flour (or all-purpose flour)
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups rolled oats
1 1/4 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips

Directions:

1.  Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2.  Cream together the first 6 ingredients.
3.  Add the remaining 4 ingredients and mix to combine.
4.  Fold in the chocolate chips.
5.  Drop by teaspoonful (or use a scoop) onto an ungreased cookie sheet (or baking stone).


6.  Bake for 10-15 mins. and then cool on wire racks if you can wait that long before eating one!


Now while these may not taste exactly like my grandma's they are still pretty darn good!
 

2 comments:

  1. This is my favourite chocolate chip cookie recipe! I've had it for years, too. Have you ever tried her "Crinkle Cookies"? If not, I should send you that one, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, never tried the Crinkle Cookies. Send the recipe my way!

    ReplyDelete