Saturday, March 10, 2012

Cheese and Crackers

Rarely do I have crackers in the house.  For some reason it's just not something I buy on a regular basis.  Then I have Mark or the kids coming to me asking me if they can have some cheese and crackers (well, the kids, not Mark, he can help himself).  So I thought yesterday, why not make my own?  I sought out a cracker recipe online, and modified it for the ingredients I had on hand, and for what I wanted to put in them to make them more wholesome!  They turned out pretty good for my first try!  Nice and thin and crispy.  The kids seem to enjoy them!

Wheat and Grain Crackers


Ingredients:

1/2 cup wheat bran
1/4 cup ground flaxseed meal
2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup EVOO
1 cup water


Directions:

1.  Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2.  In a medium bowl, stir together the whole wheat flour, wheat bran, flaxseed meal, and 3/4 teaspoon salt. Pour in the vegetable oil and water; mix until just blended. 
3.  Divide dough into 3 balls (they will be small, but roll nice and thin) and then roll each flat and thin, no more than 1/8 inch thick, onto 3 baking sheets.  Sprinkle with sea salt.


4.  Score out squares onto the dough, but do not cut through.
5.  Bake for 15-20 mins (it will depend on how thick your dough is) until crisp and light brown.
6.  When cool, divide into individual crackers and store in a cool, dry place.




Goes great with cheddar cheese squares, but I'm sure would be great with brie, dipped in spinach dip or spread with cream cheese!

3 comments:

  1. OK, now you're starting to scare me, Martha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmmm! Those look good! Your recipe should read "EVOO", though - no? I'd like to try these this weekend...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! Thanks Carrie. Change noted!

    ReplyDelete