Sunday, March 4, 2012

It's Pizza Night!

We had some left-over barbeque chicken wings sitting in the fridge that weren't getting eaten at lunch or any other time either for that matter, so Mark suggested that we make barbeque chicken pizza.  I thought, heck, why not?!  Sounded good to me!  I never buy store-made pizza dough, or already prepared pizza crusts;  I enjoy making them myself at home.  I've experiment with various recipes over the past couple of years, so here is just one of the ones I've been using lately.

Whole Wheat Pizza Crust

Ingredients: (makes enough for two 12 inch pies)

1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 1/2 tsp active yeast
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp olive oil
1 cup warm water
1 1/4-1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1/4 cup flaxseed meal

Direction:

1.  Combine the all-purpose flour, yeast and salt in bowl of mixer.
2.  Add oil and water and mix on speed 2 (or low speed of hand mixer) for 30 secs, scraping the bowl as you go.
3.  Add as much of the 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 cups of whole wheat flour and flaxseed meal and mix on speed 2 until dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl. (Or mix in with a wooden spoon) 
4.  Knead on speed 2 (or by hand) for 6-8 minutes.
5.  Put dough into lightly oiled bowl, cover and allow to rise until doubled in size.
6.  Punch down and then divide into two equal pieces. Spread some olive oil on a stone, or baking sheet. Place half of the pizza dough on the pan. Let it rest for about 5 minutes. Then, spread it out to the corners of the pan. You don't have to use a rolling pin, just stretch it out with your hands.
7.  Top as desired and bake at 450 degrees for 15 minutes.


Here is the recipe for the Barbeque Chicken pizza that I made. It was AMAZING!  Mark said it was the best pizza I've ever made.

Barbeque Chicken Pizza 

Ingredients:

1 cup chopped/cubed chicken
1 cup barbeque sauce (whatever your favourite; I used PC Smokin' Stampede Beer & Chipotle Barbeque Sauce)
2 cups mozzarella cheese, grated
1/2 green pepper, sliced (I would have used red pepper instead, but didn't have any)

Directions:

1.  Spread barbeque sauce on the pizza dough (see above).
2.  Top with 1/2 the mozzarella cheese.
3.  Top that with the chopped chicken and sliced peppers.
4.  Top with remaining cheese and then put some dollops of more barbeque sauce on top.


5.  Bake at 450 degrees for 15 mins or until cheese is bubbly and crust is golden.

Enjoy!


As mentioned, it would probably be better with red peppers, but I didn't have any on hand.  Some carmelized onions (which I also didn't have) would also be fantastic!  And I'm not even and onion fan!


 

2 comments:

  1. This looks Yummy and I Love that BBQ sauce, I have to wait for somebody to get home to eat it with me but, I will be making this for sure :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummo! I'm going to have to try the bbq chicken idea. Looks really good!!

    ReplyDelete