Saturday, February 25, 2012

It's about time

As I was baking some scones yesterday, it hit me.  I have been spending WAY too much time in the kitchen lately.  Baking and cooking have sort of become an addiction to me.  A stress reliever of sorts.  So I thought maybe I would start keeping track of the various recipes that I'm trying out these days, noting which ones have been a huge success, and which ones have been a flop.  Which ones have had successful modifications and personalization, and which ones should really stick to the original recipe.  I figured, with all the baking and cooking that I've been doing lately, that I'd start up an area where I can let everyone else know what I've been doing and hopefully pass along some great recipes to everyone!

So, for my first post, I thought I'd start with the fantastic raspberry scones I baked yesterday, sort of making up my own recipe that combined a couple of other recipes that I had in my recipe folder.  Here you go!


Ingredients:

1 cup rolled oats
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 tbsp + 1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
1 cups skim milk (you may need to add a bit more, a tbsp at a time to get the right consistency)
1/2 cup fruit (fresh, frozen or dried)

Directions:

1.  Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2.  Combine oats, flour, brown sugar, baking powder and salt in bowl of food processor (or just a mixing bowl).
3.  Add cold cubed butter and pulse until coarse crumbs produced (alternatively, you can cut in the butter with a pastry blender or 2 knives).
4.  Pour mixture into mixing bowl and add milk, stirring just until the dry ingredients are moistened.  You may need to use more or less milk (I just kind of eye-balled it) to have a moist mixture you are capable of dropping onto a baking sheet.
5.  Carefully fold in fruit of your choice, (I used frozen raspberries).
6.  Scoop and drop onto greased baking sheet (or baking stone).
7.  Bake for about 20 mins or until tops spring back when pressed.
8.  Serve warm.

Yield: 13 (by my sizing, more or less depending on how big or small you want to make them)


Enjoy!  They are fantastic!  My husband begs me to make them all the time!  Some optional mix-ins include dried cranberries and white chocolate chips, blueberries (fresh, frozen or dried) or even raisins!

6 comments:

  1. yummm Great first post janice!!as you know i love your scones and now will have to try this altered version!! AND buy some raspberries to try!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you're doing this!! Now I can steal all your recipes and know that they've already been test-driven! :) Good luck with this! ~Heather

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! I love scones. Definitely going to have to try your recipe out. Welcome to the blogging world, dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made a slight modification to the milk! I started with 1 cup and found the mixture to be a bit dry, so just kept adding a bit more until I got the right consistency. When my sister tried the full 1 1/4 cups it was a bit too much. So start with 1 cup, and add 1 tbsp at a time until you get the right consistency so it is still thick and sticky, otherwise they will spread too much and be more like cookies than scones!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Despite looking like giant oatmeal cookies rather than scones, my first attempts were still really tasty. The kids loved them!

      Delete
  5. Tried the scones again and this time they actually looked similar to your pic! Yeah!! I adjusted the amount of milk I used and it worked out much better.

    ReplyDelete